Summer Roast Chicken - Sides

It definitely feels like summer here in Cornwall, I'm sitting in the sun blogging and enjoying the sea breeze right now! Although will probably head in soon as I burn in about two seconds... joys of being extremely pale. But first I'm going to share with you three simple side dishes I made a few days ago to go alongside a roast chicken. If you're anything like me/my mum a sunday roast is a must but traditional roasts can be a bit heavy in the hot weather. So these sides are light, healthy and kind of Turkish/Greek inspired! Perfect for summer, no gravy needed. These recipes all serve approximately 8 people! 


Recipe 1 - Salsa

12 cherry/plum or 6 medium sized tomatoes 
Bunch of fresh coriander
1 red pepper
1 red onion 
3 cloves of garlic
2 limes
Olive oil 
1 fresh chilli (optional)
Seasoning 

This is a very basic one... just chop everything up reasonably small and mix together with a little splash of olive oil and the juice of the limes. The quantities I've listed here can be changed depending on your own taste, I like quite a lot of tomato and red pepper in my salsa so sometimes add more! Season with salt and black pepper to finish. 


Recipe 2 - Raita

250g natural yogurt/greek yogurt
1/2 a pomegranate
Bunch of fresh mint
Half a cucumber

This is my favourite recipe of all three because the pomegranate is delicious and I'm obsessed with it! Plus it is really easy to make and tastes amazing with the chicken. Again, you can add more or less of the ingredients depending on your own taste! Remove the pomegranate seeds, roughly slice the cucumber and mint then mix together with the yogurt... done.


Recipe 3 - Couscous and Chickpea Salad

2 tins of chickpeas
2 cups of couscous
Ground cumin
Ground paprika
1 red onion
Half a cucumber
6 cherry/plum tomatoes 
Bunch of fresh coriander
Bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley 
Bunch of fresh mint
Olive oil 
Tomato puree 
1 chilli 

Despite having a longer ingredients list, this is also a very simple recipe! Cook the couscous and drain the chickpeas to make the salad base. Chop up the cucumber, tomatoes, coriander, flat leaf parsley, mint, onion and chilli and add to the base. Add roughly a 1 teaspoon each of cumin, paprika and tomato puree and drizzle with olive oil if the salad is looking a little dry (should be fine because of the juicy tomatoes!). Season with salt and black pepper to finish. Sometimes I also add pomegranate to this recipe too but I am just a bit obsessed with the stuff so your decision! 

For the chicken, I stuffed and covered with lemon to give a fresh taste which works really nicely alongside these recipes. I also diced some potatoes and roasted with rosemary, salt and pepper as another little side. And thats about it!! Hope you enjoyed this post and let me know if you try any of this out!

3 comments:

  1. Yumm this looks delicious and easy to make! Great recipe!!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry by "this" I meant "these" but I especially want to try that last couscous recipe!

      Delete
    2. Glad you like the look of them! Let me know if you put the pomegranate in the couscous recipe and if you like it! x

      Delete